devel - [sympa-dev] Re: Backporting createlist soap feature to sympa 5.2 branch ?

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Olivier Berger <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-dev] Re: Backporting createlist soap feature to sympa 5.2 branch ?
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 12:55:01 +0100

Le mardi 27 février 2007 à 09:41 +0100, address@concealed a écrit :
> Olivier Berger wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I'm in need of using the createlist soap interface of sympa, for ou
> > Picoforge project (http://www.picoforge.org/), for the integration
> > between phpgroupware and sympa, instead of the current hack in the
> > backend...
> >
> > It seems to me that the createlist method only made its first occurrence
> > in the SOAP interface in the 5.3 branch...
> >
> > However, we seek to keeping up with the 5.2 stable branch (and Debian
> > packages as much as possible).
> >
> > I'm wondering if it would be a big work to backport createlist into
> > 5.2.x ... which of course would need some work on the Debian patches,
> > custom packages, etc. ;)
> >
> > Any hints much welcome.
> >
> It's a important work and the result will be quite far from the debian
> package.

Important like what... ?

> You should prefer one of the following alternative :
>
> * use tar.gz as a replacement of .deb so you can install 5.3b that
> will be ready this week
> * wait until sympa 5.3 debian package is ready or why not contact
> the debian Sympa maintainer's and propose some help to prepare
> the new package.

Well, I see your point here... but I'm afraid we'll have to stick with
current sympa version (5.2) in testing for the (soon hopefully) coming
"etch" stable Debian distribution...

Sooo as we prefer to build our platform on Debian packaged stable
versions... well... that's why I'm considering maybe some patch that
would just add needed bits for soap interface and not the whole of 5.3
release...

So basically, a pragmatic approach could also be to compare the workload
for backporting compared to full work of packaging a new version...

Then, can you try and give me an idea of the amount of work that such
backport would need ?

I may be wrong, but I would tend to think of the sympasoap as being only
a wrapper that needs not much work for adding new methods in the SOAP
interface, considering that such elements are already exiting and
callable from the web interface... but of course, there may be badly
designed interdependencies betw. Web UI and backend that render such
SOAP API enhancements difficult in 5.2.x ...

Anyway, I'm gonna look at a diff -r and try to see by myself.

Many thanks for your answer anyway ;)

Best regards,
--
Olivier BERGER <address@concealed>