devel - Re: [sympa-translation] Re: [sympa-dev] language names (was Charset/encoding for e-mail message)

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Hatuka*nezumi - IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
  • To: Olivier Salaün - CRU <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed, address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-translation] Re: [sympa-dev] language names (was Charset/encoding for e-mail message)
  • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 18:15:33 +0900

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 12:26:27 +0200
Olivier Salaün - CRU <address@concealed> wrote:

> I CCed sympa-translation mailing list because of the topic addressed below :
<<snip>>

> BTW: since you've adopted the Japanese name for "Japanese" in the
> language dropdown box, I'm wondering what would be the best choice
> regarding this menu :
>
> 1. Should we use the native language names (eg: "Français" for French)
> 2. Or should we translate every language name in every language
> ("Anglais" for English in the French context)
>
> There are practical and usability reasons for choosing one solution or
> the other.
> I think I'd be worth discussing this problem and adopting a solution
> that translators could follow...

I'll vote for option 1. Because: many japonophones might not be
able to realize that "Giapponese" means their own tangue, OTOH the
users who decided to read/write texts with the language mainly
spoken in Hungary may have known what "Magyar" means, etc.

Inconvenience of this option is unfriendliness to the users
whose environment supports limited repertoires of Unicode:
"ภาษาไทย" might be shown as "???????" (though currently Sympa is
not translated to Thai).

--- nezumi