devel - [sympa-dev] Internationalization and Solaris

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Olivier Salaün - CRU <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-dev] Internationalization and Solaris
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 16:16:52 +0200

We've had a couple of problems with internationalization on different plateforms, mainly because each OS has its own (and original) way of implementing setlocale() and gettext(). We've fixed most of these problem by making Sympa try different solutions for setlocale() : ll_CC.charset or ll_CC.CHARSET or ll_CC or ll

But until now, we still had problems with Solaris that would still not translate Sympa's GUI properly.
We've just found out that using the "pure perl" implementation of gettext() fixes the problem on Solaris.
Now we'd like to make sure that this implementation does not break the GUI on other OS.

We've checked it out on Fedora Core 4 and we're looking for volunteers to validate the patch on other OS.
If you have a test environment and if you can waste 15 minutes of your precious time, you can help us :
  1. download the patch : http://sourcesup.cru.fr/cgi/viewcvs.cgi/sympa/src/Language.pm?_only_with_tag_=sympa-5_2-branch&r2=1.58.2.1&r1=1.58&makepatch=1&diff_format=u
  2. apply it on your sympa sources : patch -p0 -F0 < gettext.patch
  3. install sources : make install
  4. check that the list of languages is correct on the web interface
  5. check that shifting from one language to another works fine
  6. let us know
Thank you.

  • [sympa-dev] Internationalization and Solaris, Olivier Salaün - CRU, 06/06/2006