devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Keeping up with Sympa

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Olivier Salaün - CRU <address@concealed>
  • To: Jeff Abbott <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Keeping up with Sympa
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 09:31:38 +0100

Jeff Abbott wrote: On Feb 27, 2006, at 2:27 PM, John-Paul Robinson wrote:
I'd like to start keeping closer tabs on the latest work going on  in Sympa and am wondering how best to do this.  Would it be OK to work with  the CVS HEAD in order to have access to your latest work (and build my edits around that) or is the HEAD generally unstable.  I'm not looking for production-level stability here, but I would expect things not to  blow up.
:)
We're using 5.1.2 here, and on our production server we intend to  only track released versions of Sympa -- our test server may be  running anything from a released production version to HEAD to a  specific rev, depending on what we need on any given day for testing  purposes.  I'd probably avoid using HEAD for production use, but I  tend to be somewhat conservative in stuff like this and we have the  good fortunes of having a test environment, so your needs may vary.
I confirm that running a CVS unidentified (HEAD of anything else) is a bad idea because we don't guarantee that it includes atomic changes and you can't assume that the code was fully tested. Moreover if anything goes wrong, you can't put a name on the version you are running. Unless you know what you are doing, you should only run packaged versions that come as a tar.gz.

We will release a new beta version of Sympa these days. This version provides :
  • full virtual hosting support (to manage homonym ML),
  • a new feature named "message topics" that allows to tag messages according to a set of list topics
  • notification management have been reorganized for better handling of different kind of events. User mail rejections can now be motivated ("mail rejected because not subscriber")
  • sympa is now VERP enabled (mail are sent with a unique return-path)
  • SQLite support
  • the web interface now carries the "your subscriptions" box
  • New translations to Greek, Dutch, Portuguese, Turkish
This sympa 5.2b will be released these days.

We are currently  adding other features that will make a later 5.2b.1 :
  • enhanced Shibboleth support : sympa might not trust the email address provided by Shibboleth or Shibboleth might not provide it. In such situations Sympa collects the user email and/or validates it. We are currently working on this.
  • the "shared document" feature is being redesigned to use common libraries in related subroutines. This work has already been done.