devel - Re: [sympa-dev] en_US Translation and Templates

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Jeff Abbott <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] en_US Translation and Templates
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 15:20:01 -0500

On Dec 1, 2005, at 5:03 AM, Aumont - Comite Reseaux des Universites wrote:

Jeff Abbott wrote:

I'm wondering if there's anyone currently working on cleaning up the en_US translation in Rosetta. If not, in a couple of months I hope to have some free time and a smoothly running Sympa installation, so I could jump in and start cleaning that up.

I'd also be interested in possibly re-working the templates so they're valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional content. Would there be interest in this?

YES YES YES, you are welcome both for a better English and better XHTML (there are still some bugs, especially when using Internet Explorer).

I'm going to start going through and cleaning up some of the translations immediately, hoping that they'll make it into 5.2, but I won't be able to dedicate much time to it right now. Early 2006 I should be able to put some of my time towards really cleaning up the English for the en_US message catalog, though. Which brings up a question: Should we also be updating the keys for the catalog (which is to say, the msgid strings) to reflect the changes I make, or should we leave those as-is (which would mean that they wouldn't be in sync with any of the translations)?

I'd also like to make the XHTML templates as barren and structural as possible, leaving *all* style definitions to the stylesheet(s). The easier it is to restyle it to get the look you need, the less work people will have to put out to do so. Does this sound like a good idea? A bad one?

Thanks,
Jeff