devel - [sympa-dev] More -owner Versus -request Fun

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Jeff Abbott <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-dev] More -owner Versus -request Fun
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 12:40:59 -0400

Folks,

So one of the other guys here, who used to run a departmental Mailman instance, had an interesting thought on my problem of users sending messages, due to historical use of such addresses here at Duke, to $LISTNAME-owner rather than Sympa's preferred $LISTNAME-request when trying to contact the list owner. The specific issue I've been taking claim with is that bouncequeue is dropping non-DSN messages, so a user would send a message to the list owner at $LISTNAME-owner and neither end would know the message was sent but not received and seen.

His suggestion was to have $LISTNAME-owner send to both bouncequeue and redirect to $LISTNAME-request. For instance, for a list named testlist1:

#------------------------------ testlist1: list alias created 27 Oct 2005
testlist1: "| /etc/smrsh/queue address@concealed"
testlist1-request: "| /etc/smrsh/queue address@concealed"
testlist1-editor: "| /etc/smrsh/queue address@concealed"
#testlist1-subscribe: "| /etc/smrsh/queue testlist1- address@concealed"
testlist1-owner: "| /etc/smrsh/bouncequeue address@concealed", testlist1-request

This appears to be working quite well as bouncequeue is just dropping the message if it's not a DSN, but since it's also being sent to testlist1-request then the list owner still sees it.

My question is: What is the harm in this? Is this a valid workaround for Duke to use to help ease the transition for our users? I'm seeing a couple of extraneous log entries, namely:

Oct 27 11:43:11 peake bounced[29321]: error: no address found in message from address@concealed for list testlist1

when a non-bounce message is sent to testlist1-owner, and:

Oct 27 11:46:13 peake sympa[29307]: Ignoring message which would cause a loop, sent by address@concealed

when the message is a bounce. This would meet my needs assuming it's not a completely bad idea, so I'd like to hear from the people who know: Is it a bad idea?

Thanks,
Jeff