devel - [sympa-dev] List Addresses

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Jeff Abbott <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-dev] List Addresses
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 14:12:42 -0400

Ladies and gentlemen,

Something I've been thinking about lately with working on our Sympa migration at Duke is the addresses Sympa uses for list management. These include:

$LISTNAME-request
$LISTNAME-editor
$LISTNAME-subscribe
$LISTNAME-unsubscribe
$LISTNAME-owner

The problem as I see it is that two of these addresses are being used for the wrong purposes -- $LISTNAME-owner and $LISTNAME-request. I brought up this confusion before, though I don't recall if it was on this list or sympa-users, but I think that this use of these two addresses is incorrect and I feel that it needs to be changed.

My reasoning for this comes from RFC 2142 - Mailbox Names for Common Services, Roles and Functions <http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/ rfc2142.html>. In section six of that document it discusses mailing list administration mailboxes and proposes that for any given list there be a $LISTNAME-request address that allows you to interact with the list management software. This makes a great deal of sense, as they explain, because if I'm on a Majordomo list I'd need to send commands to address@concealed, address@concealed for ListServ, address@concealed for Sympa, etc, which is very confusing to users. $LISTNAME-request allows me to send UNSUBSCRIBE commands to a predictable address without having to worry about what software is actually hosting the list. Sympa, according to my understanding, uses the $LISTNAME-request address to get in touch with the actual person or persons running the list, the list owners. Logically, this is what I would expect $LISTNAME-owner to do, instead of $LISTNAME- owner being used for bounce management. This behavior is also going to be confusing to our users as they're used to using $LISTNAME-owner coming over from Majordomo, but that's a separate and local policy issue, not so much a technical one.

What I would like to see, both for our needs here at Duke and to fit with the recommendations of RFC 2142, are the following addresses:

$LISTNAME-request -> Another way to send commands to Sympa
$LISTNAME-editor -> Contact address for the list's moderator(s)
$LISTNAME-subscribe -> An automated address for subscribing yourself to a list
$LISTNAME-unsubscribe -> An automated address for unsubscribing yourself from a list
$LISTNAME-owner -> Contact address for the list's owner(s)
$LISTNAME-bounces -> Address to which all bounces for the list are routed

I propose that in order to keep the existing default settings as well as to eliminate any shock to existing Sympa sites that some robot- level configuration settings be introduced to allow these addresses to be customized for to meet each robot's needs. Say, request_suffix, editor_suffix, subscribe_suffix, and so on. I'd be willing to go through the code and add this functionality if there were interest in it and Olivier, Serge, and other core developers didn't think it was total lunacy. One of our concerns at Duke is that we don't want to be maintaining a fork of the mailing list manager we're using, so if there's no chance this could make its way into a future version of Sympa then I'd probably be hesitant to do it.

Please let me know what you think, or if you have any words of warning or points of inspiration. I'd love to get started on hacking at this.

Thanks,
Jeff