devel - Re: [sympa-dev] List Addresses

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Jeff Abbott <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] List Addresses
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 22:05:05 -0400

On Oct 26, 2005, at 4:34 PM, address@concealed wrote:

Jeff Abbott <address@concealed> recently wrote (in part):

Sympa, according to my understanding, uses the
$LISTNAME-request address to get in touch with the actual
person or persons running the list, the list owners.

Just as a point of reference, this is also the behavior of
ListProc, and I'm reasonably sure LISTSERV as well. I'm not
saying this is right and proper, but I will note that both
these MLMs predate the RFC by quite a while.

That's good to know -- I've never used either so I'm not familiar with their details.

Also I don't read the RFC to mean that the '-request' address
is necessarily reaching a robot as verses a human. In
practice we've found that the '-request' is indeed used
almost exclusively by subscribers sending free formed
messages pleading to have their subscription removed. :-)

Also valuable information. I don't own any of our Majordomo lists that are active enough for me to really have to deal with user requests for a given list, and I do agree with you on the RFC being (intentionally?) vague on where mail sent to -request should end up. I suppose we'd have to decide amongst ourselves whether or not we thought the best practice was human or if having Sympa take -request mail would be better.

Logically, this is what I would expect $LISTNAME-owner to do,
instead of $LISTNAME-owner being used for bounce management.

From the LISTSERV manual:

"If you find that you have users trying to contact you (as
list owner) at the owner-listname address, you should
tell them that the correct generic address for contacting
the list owner(s) is listname-request, not
owner-listname."

Again, this is just historical precedent, and is not
necessarily a good argument for what *should be*.

A big reason behind why I'm thinking about this is exactly because of historical precedent -- our historical precedent, thanks to Majordomo, is that users contact list owners via $LISTNAME-owner, though we do also have additional aliases for owner-$LISTNAME that point to the former for users who are accustomed to that format. Not only would there be some retraining involved for an unknown number of users, but mail sent to $LISTNAME-owner seemingly disappears into the void if bouncequeue doesn't know how to handle it, so people's mail would be vanishing and neither the list owner nor the message's sender would be aware of it. But the way things have been here might not have any bearing with the way things have been at other institutions, hence the robot-level configuration settings that would allow larger sites to more easily integrate Sympa into existing address standards.

(BTW, I didn't see any recommendation in RFC 2142 for 'owner'
but I might have missed it.)

There was no recommendation for -owner, so you didn't miss anything. :)

As for allowing the meanings of the addresses to be site
specific, the only problem I can think of is having a Sympa
installation out there that doesn't work quite like all the
others. But if the problems that causes for that particular
site's users is far outweighed by the benefits seen, then I
guess that should be that site's choice.

This certainly would be a potential source of confusion and trouble, but I'm of the opinion that it would be a potential problem for the listmaster, rather than confusing addresses that eat mail, which would be problematic for users. Unfortunately there are still /way/ more of them then there are of us, and they tend to whine a lot louder. :P

I can't speak to, however, to the additional work and
complications it will cause in the overall development and
maintenance of Sympa.

Hopefully that's where one of the core developers could chime in...

Hope nobody minds my throwing in my 2 cents on this.

Absolutely not. Knowledgeable input is always of value to me.

I know that I'm not the only one who's considered this since I've seen at least one reply sympathizing with my initial post, but is this solving the problem in the wrong way? Should we at Duke just accept that users are going to be confused and annoyed for a while when their messages to $LISTNAME-owner don't get them in touch with the list owner (or, indeed, anyone or anything) due to the address changes?

Thanks,
Jeff