devel - [sympa-dev] Sympa 5.1 sloooooooow with many lists

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Adam Bernstein <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-dev] Sympa 5.1 sloooooooow with many lists
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:31:59 -0700

Alright, this may be partly my fault, but I've found that Sympa 5.1 is
verrrrrrrry slow when the robot has many lists in it, such as on our
primary domain at http://npogroups.org, which has nearly 1000 lists. It
can take 5, 10, even 15 seconds to respond to every click. It's much
faster in virtual robots on the same server that contain only a handful
of lists, such as http://lists.accuracy.org. (So it's not a result of
using css.tt2, or anything like that. It's definitely a result of the
large number of lists.)

I would have to guess that it's spending a lot of time doing get_which
routines now, possibly in part because of my patch for the Your Lists
window, although I never saw this kind of slowdown with the previous
version of the code (in which I was running almost the same patch). I
see that in most cases, get_which is called three times, for member,
owner, and editor roles, and that each time the get_which routine loads
and cycles through every list in the domain, which is a bit insane.

I'm trying to figure out if there's a clean way to rewrite the code so
that get_which is only called once, cycling through the list of lists
only once, and returning information for all three roles in the same
call. That would cut down the list-loading time by 2/3, although I'm
not sure exactly how many of my clicks will actually be affected by that
savings. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
adam