devel - Re: [sympa-dev] preparing sources for contribution

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Olivier Salaün - CRU <address@concealed>
  • To: John-Paul Robinson <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] preparing sources for contribution
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 10:39:28 +0200

Hi John-Paul,

John-Paul Robinson wrote:
I'm finally getting around to cleaning up the source mods I made for the I2 demo.  I had done those mods against the installed wwsympa.fcgi, so now I'm working on a diff against the actual sources.

Good news.
I want to check and make sure I understand the build process.  The sources include generic tags/pre-process vars for install dirs and other configure defines.  Is it true that all the substitution of these values occurs only during the make install via subst.pl?

That's right, we are doing a preprocess. At the "make install" time, every --MYVAR-- variable is instanciated.
Because of these variables, when working on Sympa's code, it's better to work on "sources" and then run a "make install".
Also, I made my mods against 5.0b1.  I know 5.0 has been released.  I recall that the thing that was holding up 5.0 were some translation issues.  Where there other changes that would impact a diff of 5.0b1 wwsympa.fcgi against a 5.0 version.  I'm willing to submit a 5.0 diff if that will help.  I'm not assuming my code would be used as-is, so this issue may be irrelavent.

There have been some changes but the diff command should adapt to changes. If not, we will end up applying the patch manually. Here are some recomendations to create the patch :
  1. Do a diff between the 5.0b.1 and your modified version (not between 5.0 and your version)
  2. Run the diff comand with the "-c" option to provide a contextual diff that should adapt to changes in the code
  3. You can also set the "-bB" option of diff to ignore the added/removed spaces/empty lines
If you have to source trees, you should run the diff this way :
% cd /usr/local/src ; diff -cbB sympa-5.0b.1 sympa-extended > your.patch