devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Bugreports, bugfixes, enchancements, questions

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Olivier Salaün - CRU <address@concealed>
  • To: Hargitai Gábor <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Bugreports, bugfixes, enchancements, questions
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:40:07 +0100

Hi

Hargitai Gábor wrote:
I have some $subject, and I don't want to open 10 bugreport, so I write one big letter.
Everything is for Sympa version 5.0b.1 so some of these may be fixed.
Bugs:
 - in List.pm export (line 1149) doesn't have gettext_id and f_dir's gettext_id is empty(line 852).

Ok, I've fixed it :
http://sourcesup.cru.fr/cgi/viewcvs.cgi/sympa/src/List.pm.diff?r1=1.517&r2=1.518&cvsroot=sympa
 - In wwsympa.fcgi some message aren't i18n. Two example: line 4005 no_msg_document and line 6134 no_bouncing_subscriber, but there are others too.

These are message IDs that should be referenced in error.tt2 and notice.tt2 but somtimes we are lazy. There should more than 2 missing...
If somebody is willing to contribute, checking all ids in all &error_message() and notice_message() calls and updating error.tt2 and notice.tt2, she/he is is more than welcome.
Otherwise it would be a good idea to submit a request in Mantis to keep track of this...
 - in suboptions.tt2 in line 18 the Help button isn't i18n.
This two bugs http://listes.cru.fr/mantis/view_bug_page.php?f_id=0000378 and http://listes.cru.fr/mantis/view_bug_page.php?f_id=0000377 are similar to these problems.

Ok we've fixed all this
The src/etc/create_list_templates directory contains i18n messages, but the po/Makefile doesn't check it so you should add src/etc/create_list_templates/*/* at the and of line 28 and update sympa.pot and the po files.

You're right ; we've added this directory and also updated the POT file and PO files acordingly.
If I send a help command to address@concealed I always get english text, but my users and sympas language is hu, and I translated every message in hu.po (I will send an updated hu.po in a couple of days).

Is it only a translation delay or is there a technical problem behind that ?
(Note that I get the HELP message in French)
Enchancement:
if a moderator gets an Article to be approved for... message, he doesn't know who is the sender until he opens the attached message but the from the sender it's often obvious that the mail is a spam. The sollution is simple: modify List.pm near line 2519 so it looks like this my $msgfrom=$msg->head->get('From');
       chomp($msgfrom);
       $self->send_file('moderate', \@rcpt, $self->{'domain'}, {'modkey' => $modkey,
                                       'boundary' => $boundary,
                                       'msg' => $file,
                                       'method' => $method,
                                       'from'=> &Conf::get_robot_conf($robot, 'sympa'),
				       'msgfrom' => $msgfrom
                                                                });
so the template gets the sender and modify mail_tt2/modindex.tt2 line 3 looks like this:

You probably meant moderate.tt2...
Subject: [% FILTER qencode %][%|loc(list.name)%]Article to be approved for list %1[%END%] from [% msgfrom %][%END%]
Of course the po-s need update after it.

We've added the requested feature ; it makes sense :
http://sourcesup.cru.fr/cgi/viewcvs.cgi/sympa/src/List.pm.diff?r1=1.519&r2=1.520&cvsroot=sympa
http://sourcesup.cru.fr/cgi/viewcvs.cgi/sympa/mail_tt2/moderate.tt2.diff?r1=1.2&r2=1.3&cvsroot=sympa
I created a Gentoo ebuild and a sample Gentoo apache2 config file for sympa. I will send it in a few days (they need some polishing).

Yes please
Question
How to use rss? If I try http://domain.org/wws/rss firefox tries to download it, if I try it with Thunderbird it says it isn't a valid. I tried to put <?xml version="1.0"?> on the begining of web_tt2/rss.tt2 (I think it doesn't hurt), but it doesn't help.
Gwenaelle is just working on that problem ; there were missing headers and we now face encoding problems.
We will notify the mailing list when we have a patch for this.
And you should put a <link REL="alternate" type="application/xml" title="RSS" href=""http://my.server/wws/rss/latest_arc/mylist?for="3&count=6"> line in the head of each lists' page so the users are notified that they can subscribe to an rss channel.

We were about to add this...good idea.
If I create a new list template in create_list_templates then it has i18n strings but I can only place them in sympa.pot so I have to work at every new sympa release to place these strings at the end of sympa.pot and the po's. Can I create custom pot and pos like I can create custom templates or gettext can't do this?

Customization of templates at the site, virtual robot or list level, should not use PO files (i'll have to check it works fine for create_list_templates).
Imagine you wish to customize the welcome.tt2 in Hungarian but also a default template in English. you should create the following files :
/home/sympa/etc/mail_tt2/welcome.tt2
/home/sympa/etc/mail_tt2/hu/welcome.tt2
You will notice that, unlike our previous template format, the language is specified in subdirectories, no more in the file name itself.

Here is the priority order for Sympa to find the appropriate template :
  1. look for the template at the list level, in the current language
  2. at the list level, no language specified
  3. at the robot level, in the current language
  4. ......
  5. at the distribution level (/home/sympa/bin/etc/...)
I guess we're lacking documentation on this topic...
My ordinary question :) : when do you plan to release a final 5.0 or at least a new beta which includes these an other bugfixes?

We can't plan the 5.0 release yet because :
  1. the beta release is still fresh
  2. we're still lacking major translations...
  3. we'd like to introduce the latest CSS development, with a fresh new web interface (Serge will send a prototype these days...)
But we will provide intermediate beta versions in the meanwhile ; probably one within one week (that will include the changes you requested).

--
Olivier Salaün
Comité Réseau des Universités