devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Hardware requirements

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Sergiy Zhuk <address@concealed>
  • To: Olivier Salaun - CRU <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Hardware requirements
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 10:32:54 -0700 (PDT)

hi

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Olivier Salaun - CRU wrote:

> 1 Gb digest are rare, aren't they ?

They are, we probably have to limit the digest size on per list basis.
By default it should probably be the same as the max message size for the
list.

> 1000 messages is a lot for a single list ; any subscriber in this list ;-) ?

Yes, various monitoring lists usually have 3-5 subscribers and can receive
tons on mail in a matter of minutes thus stopping all other processing.
It's a rather common case for corp. lists.
Same goes to archiving (outgoing directory), but it's not as time sensitive
as the delivery to list subscribers.

> You can use the list priority parameter to cope with this ; list config
> are reloaded whenever they change.

Will try that, alhough it's kinda hard when you have a large number of lists
(I have about 3,200 now).

> You can either set this list's priority to 'z' (remain in spool) or
> increase other list priority.

Sympa seems to be rather slow, it can only process about 2-3 msgs/sec tops
on my dual-CPU machine.
Same lists expanded thru aliases work much faster.
I understand sympa is doing various checks, but probably something can be
done to speed-up the processing.
Lots of sites can't afford several hours delay because of one list receiving
a large number of messages.
Any idea what part of code needs to be optimized ?
I'm still on 3.x though, so it may have changed in 4.x...

thanks

--
rgds,
serge