devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Hardware requirements

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Sergiy Zhuk <address@concealed>
  • To: Olivier Salaun - CRU <address@concealed>
  • Cc: Peter Nixon <address@concealed>, address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Hardware requirements
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 10:11:09 -0700 (PDT)

hi

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, Olivier Salaun - CRU wrote:

> We are aware of memory leaks in Sympa processes aparently linked to the
> number of lists and/or subscribers.

I've found an additional cause of intensive memory use - digests.
The sympa process was dying for several hours in a raw growing up to allowed
limit (512Mb) every time.
Then I've discovered that it's trying to send a digest which was more than a
Gigabyte in size (lots of pictures).
It was trying to read the whole thing into memory.
I've figured if sympa is doing it for every digest and is not freeing the
memory after that, it would cause an excessive memory use.
Another problem is sympa queue processing.
You can only have one process (sympa.pl) processing the queue and that is
definitely not enough in case you have high traffic volume lists.
AFAIR sympa always sorts the queue by the list name, so it doesn't give
other lists a chance if you have a 1,000 messages waiting for delivery for
the same list.

--
rgds,
serge