devel - Re: [sympa-dev] tt2-based i18n and draft po files ready

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Chia-liang Kao <address@concealed>
  • To: Olivier Salaun - CRU <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed, address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] tt2-based i18n and draft po files ready
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 13:41:39 +0800

Hi,

On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 11:56:17AM +0200, Olivier Salaun - CRU wrote:
> >>We will definitely work on the migration from tpl/nls to tt2/gettext next
> >>july (I doubt we
> >>get enough time in the meanwhile). Could you send us a tar of your
> >>modified sympa distribution
> >>or BETTER a diff of Makefiles/scripts + a detailed migration notice.
> >>
> >>Anyhow we will contact you when we'll be working on this.

I just finished converting the other templates besdies wwsympa
to tt2 (sympa template and create_list_templates). also made the
makefile `just works'. (finally!)

the diff at http://ntu.clkao.org/tmp/sympa-tt2.diff.bz2 should
apply cleanly on latest cvs HEAD.

(the diff was generated by:
svn diff http://svn.clkao.org/sympa/vendor/trunk
http://svn.clkao.org/sympa/trunk )

some notes:

* as already mentioned, the current po files are automatically
extracted from the original translated templates. they might
be inaccurate.

* the chain of responsibility feature of the files being overridible
per list or per robot was not tested yet. I plan to use tt2's
feature to make it cleaner than the current get_filename implementation.

* the diff contains some changes not related to tt2:
- rev 29: add tw to lang list.
- rev 11: encode the subject after custom_subj handling
- rev 11: use Encode::MIME::Header instead of MIME::Words to avoid encoding
hazards

* check_perl_modules isn't updated yet to include Template checks.

* the spacing bahaviour is a bit different from the sympa template.
so text template (mostly message sent by sympa) might have extra
spaces. but i've fixed things that would ruin the mail header
because of blank lines. we could fix other stuff later.

* work on translating the tw.po has been started. you might want to
call for translaters for other languages if you think it's appropriate.

* customized template in the original format could be converted by:

perl -Isrc -p -e 'require
"src/tt2.pl";$_=Sympa::Template::Compat::_translate($_)'
<old-template-to-convert>

> We're not willing to have too many CVS branches because it might be a hard
> job to merge
> them later on. Currently we only have 2 branches : the MAIN one
> (development) and a stable
> one (sympa-3_4-branch). I suppose it would be usefull for separating TT2
> changes from other
> ?summer developments?...
> Any other point of views on this ?

that's exactly the pain with CVS. as you see, currently i'm using subversion
to host my development, and regularly merges changes from cvs (as vendor
branch). It'd be cool if the development of sympa switches to svn too,
but that probably won't happen in the near future.

It would be fine this way before tt2 gets to -HEAD, if there's no
major template changes that would cause merging difficulties.

meanwhile, what summer development do you mean? :)

Cheers,
CLK