devel - Request for feature: EXPIRE/OWNER REMIND/cmdline overwrite via sympa.pl

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: John Douglass <address@concealed>
  • To: sympa-dev <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Request for feature: EXPIRE/OWNER REMIND/cmdline overwrite via sympa.pl
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 13:44:38 -0400

Three things that I'd like to see within Sympa are:

1) List Expire

The ability for the system to expire lists if they are not maintained. Perhaps a solution might be to include a task that runs nightly to look at the "Last Updated" timestamp in the config and if older than [setting] days, ping the owner asking them to update the file (which resets the system). If older than [setting2], the listmaster and owner are e-mailed asking the owner to update the file, finally after [setting3] days, the list is closed (not purged).

I'll play with adding this code, but I'm not that great at system internals. (Like how I would close a list from a script), maybe someone could offer some insights into this process.

2) Owner Remind

Similar to the "remind" process of the subscribers, reminding people that they are owners periodically and if they do not confirm, listmaster is alerted that a list has become "rogue". Many times, lists are abandoned on our servers. Perhaps 1 + 2 could be combined.

3) Command line overwrite via sympa.pl

It would be nice to have a switch that overwrote the subscribers instead of merging them (which would be the default). I'll try and look into this as well. Perhaps the sympa.pl script will lend me some insight :)

Just some thoughts to throw out into the Ether.

- John Douglass, Georgia Institute of Technology