devel - Re: [sympa-dev] sympa memory management

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Olivier Salaun <address@concealed>
  • To: Sergiy Zhuk <address@concealed>
  • Cc: sympa-dev <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] sympa memory management
  • Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 09:09:17 +0100

Hi Segiy,

Sergiy Zhuk wrote:

> I currently have about 650 lists under sympa and it looks like sympa
> processes are growing at a pretty fast rate.
> wwsympa processes have grown to 50Mb each in a day, sympa.pl has grown to
> 78Mb in the same time.
> Is there any reason it should grow this large ?
> Is it because of memory caching it does, like storing all list configs and
> such ?

It should not be related to list configs because as soon as a WHICH command
(or derivated) is run, *all* list config files are loaded in memory. They
will be reloaded only if config changed on disk. Therefore it does not explain
why process grow.

Curently we did not identify but we suspect memory leaks in Perl.
See : http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/02/p5pdigest/THISWEEK-20010212.html
Hoping Perl 6 will fix it...

> I wonder what will happen when I have 2,000 lists or more...

What type of lists do you have ? user_data_source = database ? include ?

--
Olivier Salaün
Comité Réseau des Universités