devel - Re: [sympa-dev] automatic handling of bouncing addresses ?

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Aumont <address@concealed>
  • To: Fil <address@concealed>
  • Cc: Sympa-Dev <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] automatic handling of bouncing addresses ?
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 10:31:00 +0100

Fil wrote:

> Sympa's website says "Further development of Sympa/WWSympa should allow
> automatic deletion of bouncing addresses."
We introduce in the current version 3.3.3 a new file for each list which
is
the count of messages distributed to the list each day. We did it
because it is needed to ajust automatic removing of boggus emails with
the list trafic. If a list is mounthly newsletter, some subscriber that
did generate 12 bounce probably must be removed. If the list receive
about 20 mails
a day, this adresse is out of order since less than a day.
Now this file is source of data bounced need to be able to automatically
remove adresses.
The current version is able to expire old bounces in order to forget
bounce from a email temporaly out of order.

> As a first try I'd like to try to define a new list info-diplo-probe and to
> put all bouncers from info-diplo into that list (and removing them from
> info-diplo). 1- Then send the mailing through info-diplo (should be fast and
> with few bounces !). 2- Then send a copy through info-diplo-probe, which
> will send one message per subscriber (should be slow and painful!).
>
> Now the questions : what's best to do with bounces coming back from
> info-diplo-probe ? Is there a way to reasonably delete all these bouncers ?
> Is all that even worth doing it, or should I just let go and not worry, and
> wait for a next version of sympa ?

Yes there is a way to send a personnal message to each member of a list
and to automatically remove those who bounce. Set the remind_return_path
list parameter to "unique" and send a remind into the list. Bounced will
remove all adresse which bounce. It should be easy to introduce into
sympa a special remind action for subscribers with bounce setting the
unique return path and to run it periodically from task_manager.

Serge Aumont Comité Réseaux des Universités
Campus Beaulieu
35042 Rennes Cedex