devel - automatic handling of bouncing addresses ?

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Fil <address@concealed>
  • To: Sympa-Dev <address@concealed>
  • Subject: automatic handling of bouncing addresses ?
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 23:42:17 +0100

Sympa's website says "Further development of Sympa/WWSympa should allow
automatic deletion of bouncing addresses."

This would be great! My big list of 150 000 subscribers (called
'info-diplo') has reached the 30% bounce limit. I'm wasting resources
sending messages to these people.

As a first try I'd like to try to define a new list info-diplo-probe and to
put all bouncers from info-diplo into that list (and removing them from
info-diplo). 1- Then send the mailing through info-diplo (should be fast and
with few bounces !). 2- Then send a copy through info-diplo-probe, which
will send one message per subscriber (should be slow and painful!).

Now the questions : what's best to do with bounces coming back from
info-diplo-probe ? Is there a way to reasonably delete all these bouncers ?
Is all that even worth doing it, or should I just let go and not worry, and
wait for a next version of sympa ?

-- Fil