devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Improvements for Debian packaging

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Olivier Salaun <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Improvements for Debian packaging
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 17:15:49 +0100

Hi,

"Jérôme Marant" wrote:

> Here is the first report on Sympa packaging for Debian.
>
> There will be at least two packages i.e. sympa and wwsympa since WWSympa
> is optional. Mainly, I noticed the lack of separation between sympa and
> wwsympa. I did not mentioned databases since they are parts of the next
> step.

Sympa and WWSympa are close and will get closer. Future releases will
have
a single config file (sympa.conf & wwsympa.conf together).
We'd recommend a single package for both.

> This is the way I would like Sympa to be installed in Debian :
>
> Sympa:
> ------
>
> /etc/sympa : configuration files
> sympa.conf
> edit_list.conf
> create_list.conf
>
> /etc/sympa/scenari : user scenarii
> /etc/sympa/templates : user templates
> /etc/sympa/create_list_templates : user creta_list templates
>
> /etc/ssl/certs : openssl certificates

Certs are for Sympa/WWSympa's use only => path should contain "sympa" in
it
This directory will grow (no subscribers), it's not exactly
configuration-related

> /usr/lib/sympa/bin : sympa binaries, not to be run by the end user
>
> /usr/share/doc/sympa/ : documentation files
> /usr/share/doc/sympa/examples/ : exemple files
>
> /usr/share/sympa : non-binary original files (from the original tarball)
> /usr/share/sympa/scenari/
> /usr/share/sympa/templates/
> /usr/share/sympa/create_list_templates/
>
> /var/spool/sympa : sympa spool files
> /var/spool/sympa/expl/
> /var/spool/sympa/queue/
> /var/spool/sympa/queuemod/
> /var/spool/sympa/queuedigest/
> /var/spool/sympa/queueexpire/
> /var/spool/sympa/queueauth/
> /var/spool/sympa/queuebounce/
> /var/spool/sympa/queueoutgoing/
> /var/spool/sympa/tmp/
>
> Currently, a simple "make install" does not allow me to do such things. I
> have
> to use some of the install* rules:
>
> $(MAKE) installsrc \
> DESTDIR=$(SYMPA) DIR=/usr/lib/sympa \
> ETCBINDIR=/usr/share/sympa CONFDIR=/etc/sympa
> and
> $(MAKE) installsample \
> DESTDIR=$(SYMPA) DIR=/usr/share/doc/sympa/examples
>
> Currently, both edit_list.conf and create_list.conf install in ETCBINDIR.
> IMHO, they should be installed in CONFDIR.

The logic is the same for scenari/ tempaltes/ :
defaults are in ETCBINDIR ; it is overwritten at installation time
site admin can overwrite these in etc/

> It would also be great to have a separate SSLCERTDIR for installing ssl
> certificates
> in the right place. [unless they need postprocessings ]

We should rather add a configuration parameter in sympa.conf.

> WWSympa:
> --------
>
> /etc/wwsympa : wwsympa configuration files
> wwsympa.conf

=> /etc/sympa/wwsympa.conf

> /etc/wwsympa/wws_templates : user defined wws templates
>
> /usr/lib/cgi-bin/sympa : sympa CGI files
>
> /usr/share/wwsympa : non-binary original files (from the original tarball)
> /usr/share/wwsympa/icons : icons for HTML pages
> /usr/share/wwsympa/wws_templates : original WWS templates
>
> /var/spool/wwsympa : archive files for wwsympa
> /var/spool/wwsympa/archives
> /var/spool/wwsympa/bounce
>
> The install process looks like:
>
> $(MAKE) installwws \
> DESTDIR=$(WWSYMPA) WWSBINDIR=/usr/lib/cgi-bin/wwsympa \
> ETCBINDIR=/usr/share/wwsympa WWSCONFIG=/etc/wwsympa \
> BINDIR=/usr/lib/sympa/bin \
> CONFIG=/etc/sympa ICONSDIR=/usr/share/sympa/icons
>
> The problem here is that with a unique BINDIR, you assume that sympa
> scripts and
> wwsympa scripts are located in the same directory. For instance,

It is one product.
What we miss is a LIBDIR in the Makefile for every perl modules to be
installed

--
Olivier Salaün
Comité Réseaux des Universités