devel - Improvements for Debian packaging

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: address@concealed (J�r�me Marant)
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Improvements for Debian packaging
  • Date: 13 Dec 2000 14:31:17 +0100

Hi,

Here is the first report on Sympa packaging for Debian.

There will be at least two packages i.e. sympa and wwsympa since WWSympa
is optional. Mainly, I noticed the lack of separation between sympa and
wwsympa. I did not mentioned databases since they are parts of the next
step.

This is the way I would like Sympa to be installed in Debian :

Sympa:
------

/etc/sympa : configuration files
sympa.conf
edit_list.conf
create_list.conf

/etc/sympa/scenari : user scenarii
/etc/sympa/templates : user templates
/etc/sympa/create_list_templates : user creta_list templates

/etc/ssl/certs : openssl certificates

/usr/lib/sympa/bin : sympa binaries, not to be run by the end user

/usr/share/doc/sympa/ : documentation files
/usr/share/doc/sympa/examples/ : exemple files

/usr/share/sympa : non-binary original files (from the original tarball)
/usr/share/sympa/scenari/
/usr/share/sympa/templates/
/usr/share/sympa/create_list_templates/

/var/spool/sympa : sympa spool files
/var/spool/sympa/expl/
/var/spool/sympa/queue/
/var/spool/sympa/queuemod/
/var/spool/sympa/queuedigest/
/var/spool/sympa/queueexpire/
/var/spool/sympa/queueauth/
/var/spool/sympa/queuebounce/
/var/spool/sympa/queueoutgoing/
/var/spool/sympa/tmp/

Currently, a simple "make install" does not allow me to do such things. I have
to use some of the install* rules:

$(MAKE) installsrc \
DESTDIR=$(SYMPA) DIR=/usr/lib/sympa \
ETCBINDIR=/usr/share/sympa CONFDIR=/etc/sympa
and
$(MAKE) installsample \
DESTDIR=$(SYMPA) DIR=/usr/share/doc/sympa/examples

Currently, both edit_list.conf and create_list.conf install in ETCBINDIR.
IMHO, they should be installed in CONFDIR.

It would also be great to have a separate SSLCERTDIR for installing ssl
certificates
in the right place. [unless they need postprocessings ]

WWSympa:
--------

/etc/wwsympa : wwsympa configuration files
wwsympa.conf
/etc/wwsympa/wws_templates : user defined wws templates

/usr/lib/cgi-bin/sympa : sympa CGI files

/usr/share/wwsympa : non-binary original files (from the original tarball)
/usr/share/wwsympa/icons : icons for HTML pages
/usr/share/wwsympa/wws_templates : original WWS templates

/var/spool/wwsympa : archive files for wwsympa
/var/spool/wwsympa/archives
/var/spool/wwsympa/bounce

The install process looks like:

$(MAKE) installwws \
DESTDIR=$(WWSYMPA) WWSBINDIR=/usr/lib/cgi-bin/wwsympa \
ETCBINDIR=/usr/share/wwsympa WWSCONFIG=/etc/wwsympa \
BINDIR=/usr/lib/sympa/bin \
CONFIG=/etc/sympa ICONSDIR=/usr/share/sympa/icons

The problem here is that with a unique BINDIR, you assume that sympa scripts
and
wwsympa scripts are located in the same directory. For instance,

wwsympa.fcgi:require "--BINDIR--/parser.pl"; ] sympa scripts
wwsympa.fcgi:require "--BINDIR--/msg.pl"; ]
wwsympa.fcgi:require "--BINDIR--/tools.pl"; ]
wwsympa.fcgi:require "--BINDIR--/wws-lib.pl"; ] wwsympa scripts
wwsympa.fcgi:require "--BINDIR--/cookie-lib.pl"; ]

Of course, I'll be able to put them in the place. However, a WWSBINDIR
could improve all things. Then, we'd get:

wwsympa.fcgi:require "--BINDIR--/parser.pl";
wwsympa.fcgi:require "--BINDIR--/msg.pl";
wwsympa.fcgi:require "--BINDIR--/tools.pl";
wwsympa.fcgi:require "--WWSBINDIR--/wws-lib.pl";
wwsympa.fcgi:require "--WWSBINDIR--/cookie-lib.pl";

Any comment on this would be appreciated :-)

Thanks for reading.

--
Jérôme Marant <jerome.marant@{free.fr, IDEALX.org}>

http://jerome.marant.free.fr