packagers - Re: [suggest] Sympa and dependencies

Subject: List for people interesting in developping and using Sympa packages

  • From: Daniel MAHER <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [suggest] Sympa and dependencies
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 15:27:06 +0200

On 05/11/2010 03:12 PM, Daniel MAHER wrote:

http://www.dark.ca/2010/04/08/cpan-rpms-in-rhel-centos/

In summary, i propose using cpanspec to generate the baseline spec
files, then editing them by hand to change the installation target to
the Perl site directory (instead of base or vendor).

As an addendum, i'd like to note that in a previous conversation with Dan Pritts on this topic, he mentioned the following :

« My read of site_perl vs. vendor_perl was that site_perl was truly local. If I'm rolling RPMs for my own use site_perl is fine but for something that's getting distributed more widely it seems wrong to use it.

As I look at it more closely, though, cgi.pm et al are installed in the main perl directory, not in vendor_perl - the real problem is the man pages. Which, as you point out, is easy enough to handle. »

This is a good point, and is worth considering if Sympa chooses to produce any sort of libs package to help RHEL / CentOS users...

--
Daniel MAHER <dma PLUS sympa AT witbe DOT net>