packagers - Re: [suggest] Sympa and dependencies

Subject: List for people interesting in developping and using Sympa packages

  • From: Daniel MAHER <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [suggest] Sympa and dependencies
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 15:12:07 +0200

On 05/11/2010 12:07 PM, Victoriano Giralt wrote:

| That said, there is a middle-path : make available separate modified
| CPAN RPM packages that satisfy the requirements. These packages, which
| are not that hard to build, would live outside of the main Sympa RPM,
| and would not be officially supported. In order to avoid conflicts,
| they would have different names (*-sympa- ?), and they would install
| into either site_perl or some other Sympa-specific location as
appropriate.
But then, we risk having several copies of the same thing that could break
other parts of the system, wouldn't we?

Yes, if you auto-build the CPAN modules as RPMs (which, btw, is generally how it works in CPAN / RPM repos). Instead, for the relatively small number of conflicting packages (CGI.pm is a notable example), the spec files can be edited to ensure that they install to a standard non-colliding spot. See below...

| This would remove the onus of maintenance from the Sympa team while
| still providing the necessary support for the « broken » distributions
| to those who are unable to build the packages themselves for whatever
| reason. Given that there are only a handful of legitimate conflicts,
| this might not be a bad option. As well, if the modularisation issue is
| addressed in 5.5+, then eventually the unsupported packages would become
| less and less important (and could be phased out).
I see another option: suggesting the use of already good and responsive
repositories for Perl packages that adhere to the "sensible way" of doing
things, like Magnus. I've contacted the maintainer and he is a quite nice
guy. I think I was able to circumvent the "Perl problem" somehow (I do not
have access to my system administration blog right now).

I'm not familiar with Magnus, but i am familiar with Magnum (perhaps that's what you meant?). I've spoken with the admin there about this topic, and he doesn't have a standard solution for the stock RHEL RPM collision problem either. It is perhaps worth noting that his RPMs are auto-built using cpanspec, and thus are susceptible to the same problems.

Last month i wrote a reasonably lengthy article on this topic, as well as what i think is an acceptable solution, on my blog here :

http://www.dark.ca/2010/04/08/cpan-rpms-in-rhel-centos/

In summary, i propose using cpanspec to generate the baseline spec files, then editing them by hand to change the installation target to the Perl site directory (instead of base or vendor).

--
Daniel MAHER <dma PLUS sympa AT witbe DOT net>