en - [en@sympa] M365 and error messages

  • From: Paul Grzesina <address@concealed>
  • To: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [en@sympa] M365 and error messages
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2024 16:36:28 +0000

We’ve recently switched to Microsoft 365 for mail and since then I’ve noticed that error messages from Sympa are less helpful. Sympa is still generating helpful messages, but 365 seems to just show a 5.7.1 error and no details. Any suggestions on how to improve this would be welcome.

For example, emailing a closed list from a gmail account results in the following error:

This is an automatic response sent by Sympa Mailing Lists Manager.
Impossible to distribute your message for list 'address@concealed' for
the following reason:

Your message for list 'testlist' (attached below) was rejected.
You are not allowed to send this message for the following reason:

 Message distribution in this list is not allowed.
For further information, please contact address@concealed

But on from a 365 account I just get a generic 5.7.1 error:

Your message wasn't delivered because the destination email system rejected your message for security or policy reasons. For example, the email address might only accept messages from certain senders, or it might not accept certain types of messages, like those larger than a specific size.

Contact the recipient (by phone, for example) and work with them and their email admin to determine what policy or setting blocked your message and what you should do to make sure that future messages from you won't be rejected.

For more information, see Status code 5.7.1.

The following organization rejected your message: example.com.

Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: example.com

address@concealed
example.com
Remote server returned '554 5.7.1 <example.com #5.7.1 X-Sympa; Delivery not authorized, message refused>'

  • [en@sympa] M365 and error messages, Paul Grzesina, 09/12/2024