en - Re: [en@sympa] Using Port 587 instead of 25 for Postfix under RHEL

  • From: geoffroy desvernay <address@concealed>
  • To: Chris Kay <address@concealed>, Chris Kay <address@concealed>, "address@concealed" <address@concealed>, "Janky Jay, III" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [en@sympa] Using Port 587 instead of 25 for Postfix under RHEL
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2024 17:27:52 +0000

Hi Chris,

I see two separate questions here: sending and receiving, in both case most of the problem is not in sympa.

For sending mails, sympa typically use a MTA (postfix, sendmail, qmail, smtpd, exchange...). The MTA should trust sympa, and will typically be hosted near (localhost or a local network). I think configuring the local mail agent to use a 'submission' access (port 587 + authentication) is possible but has no or low security benefit.

For receiving mails, sympa also leaves this to sendmail, postfix, watever MTA is configured with your list's domain (`drill mx your.domain` should give you the name/address of your current MTA). On internet I'm not aware of a MTA not listening on port 25, most accepting STARTTLS nowadays.
This MTA will pass the mails to sympa using a command.

If you are configuring a new domain, you will need port 25 opened if you intent to receive directly any mail, or someone will need to configure a mail forwarder (with port 25 opened) to accept and forward mails adressed to your list's domain to your local MTA (in this case you can use any port, with or without encryption to receive those locally).

Hope this helps...

Geoffroy