en - [en@sympa] need help with setting up Sympa web interface

  • From: Cliff Nieuwenhuis <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [en@sympa] need help with setting up Sympa web interface
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 20:54:32 -0600

I have installed Sympa 6.2.70 on a Debian 12 (bookworm) server which
runs Apache/2.4.57, Postfix, dovecot, and roundcube. The server is a
Linode virtual server which is providing services for only one domain
(I'll use "example.com" here)

So far, email is working and users can send/receive with
address@concealed, address@concealed, etc.

Apache is serving a few virtual hosts; the main www.example.com website
and webmail.example.com which is where users log into roundcube.

I installed Sympa by running "apt install sympa" but although I got
through the Sympa documentation section called "configuring mail
server" and passed that test, I cannot get the web interface part to
work. I read (and re-read) the "Configure HTTP server" section of the
Sympa documentation and tried to get my configuration right for my
environment, but I'm just not getting it.

What I want to end up with is a mailing list called "NewsNotes". I'm
guessing that the main email for this list will be
address@concealed . I'm coming from a Gnu mailman2 background so I
assumed there would be a web admin site that I could serve from an
apache2 vhost like "lists.example.com" but I see that Sympa does things
differently and instead of vhost configurations that point to static
files, Sympa uses conf files that point to a socket. I can't get that
to work at all but I may be missing something obvious to someone
familiar with sockets.

sympa.conf includes these settings...

domain example.com
wwsympa_url https://lists.example.com/wws

Debian's apt package supplied this sympa.conf file:

#
# Apache >> 2.4 configuration for Sympa
#

<IfModule mod_proxy_fcgi.c>
Alias /static-sympa /usr/share/sympa/static_content
<Directory /usr/share/sympa/static_content>
Require all granted
</Directory>

Alias /css-sympa /var/lib/sympa/css
<Directory /var/lib/sympa/css>
Require all granted
</Directory>

Alias /pictures-sympa /var/lib/sympa/pictures
<Directory /var/lib/sympa/pictures>
Require all granted
</Directory>

<Location /wws>
SetHandler "proxy:unix:/run/sympa/wwsympa.socket|fcgi://"
Require all granted
</Location>
</IfModule>

The configuration is active in Apache, and the wwsympa.socket daemon is
running.

AFAIK Apache has all necessary modules enabled.

I'm not finding any errors in apache logs or sympa logs. If I visit
the https://lists.example.com/wws I get

"The requested URL was not found on this server."

I also tried https://example.com/wws and get the same
"The requested URL was not found on this server."

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I would really
appreciate it and sorry for the long post.

  • [en@sympa] need help with setting up Sympa web interface, Cliff Nieuwenhuis, 02/23/2024