en - [en@sympa] v6.2.72 - Message variables

  • From: "McLaren, Terry" <address@concealed>
  • To: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [en@sympa] v6.2.72 - Message variables
  • Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 21:05:17 +0000

Greetings – In an effort to help clarify who sent a message to a list,  I created a custom header to identify the originating sender.    While the header.from variable works, it’s not as concise as some user expect especially when it’s rewritten for DMARC.   I found the mail header ‘x-original-from’ does change based on who sent or replied to a message but it appears this tag is ignored or not supported.      I referenced the syntax and variables defined at:   https://www.sympa.community/manual/customize/message-personalization.html  and I saw 'x-original-to' was supported so I tweaked it to ‘x-original-from’.    See the results below.

  1. Message Header content:

[% headers.from %]
[% headers.item('x-original-from') %]
[% headers.item('x-original-to') %]

  1. Headers.from appears to populate in the body of the message but the other tags do not.