en - [en@sympa] Upgrade docs in https://www.sympa.community/manual/install/configure-mail-server-exim4.html

  • From: Gonzalo Cao Cabeza de Vaca <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [en@sympa] Upgrade docs in https://www.sympa.community/manual/install/configure-mail-server-exim4.html
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 10:36:19 +0100

Hi,

I’ve been dealing with exim4 configuration with debian 12 and sympa 6.2.70 (default debian 12 package) up to realise that configuration files on https://www.sympa.community/manual/install/configure-mail-server-exim4.html are simply outdated.

I would like to contribute to documentation modifying that page but I don’t know where to notify it.

Problem is Exim>=4.94 transport doens’t allow taintend parameters in configuration (3 years ago), so if you use current  SYMPA configuration for exim4 you would have this error

"sympa-request@xxxx R=sympa_queue_aliases T=sympa_queue_transport: Tainted arg 1 for sympa_queue_transport transport command: 'sympa-request@xxxxxxxx’

(I paste in order to help people that might be having the same problem)

 so you need to change a couple of lines in transport and routers to get it running (observe the the change on variables names for the “sanitized" ones

# Sympa transport for queue program
sympa_queue_transport:
  driver = pipe
  command = /usr/lib/sympa/bin/queue ${local_part_data}@${domain_data}
  #command = /usr/lib/sympa/bin/queue ${local_part}\@$domain
  user = sympa
  group = sympa
  return_fail_output
  return_path_add

# Sympa transport for bouncequeue program
sympa_bounce_queue_transport:
  driver = pipe
  command = /usr/lib/sympa/bin/bouncequeue ${local_part_data}@${domain_data}
  #command = /usr/lib/sympa/bin/bouncequeue ${local_part}\@$domain
  user = sympa
  group = sympa
  return_fail_output
  return_path_add
Also I observed a problem with router for sympla list aliases. First the “require files” config parameter failed for me, so I deactivated it, and local_part doesn’t need to add domain, so router remains as follows

# Sympa list aliases
sympa_aliases:
  debug_print = "R: sympa_aliases for $local_part@$domain"
  driver = redirect
  allow_fail
  allow_defer
  #require_files = "+$SENDMAIL_ALIASES"
  #data = "${lookup{$local_part@$domain}lsearch{/etc/mail/sympa/aliases}}"
  data = "${lookup{$local_part}lsearch{/etc/mail/sympa/aliases}}" <- this is for debian adjust to your OS

More information

https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2021-05-04-exim-transports-disallow-tainted.html

--

Gonzalo Cao