en - RE: [en@sympa] TTL refresh rate change in sympa.conf took 2 old rate refresh cycles before implementing new rate?

  • From: "McLaren, Terry" <address@concealed>
  • To: "Widerski, Betty" <address@concealed>, "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: RE: [en@sympa] TTL refresh rate change in sympa.conf took 2 old rate refresh cycles before implementing new rate?
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 16:23:40 +0000

Hi Betty, et al – Don’t forget there are two ttl settings for membership inclusion, Admin > Edit List Config > Data Source Setup - …

  1. Inclusion timeout (ttl)– verify the remote subscriber list members at some time interval.
  2. Inclusion timeout for message distribution (distribution_ttl) – verify the remote subscriber inclusion before a message is sent to the list.

#2 Inclusion timeout for message distribution (distribution_ttl) - is the more important setting since it will sync the remote subscriber list ‘before’ a message is sent to the list.   Our default is 5 minutes (300sec), however, we allow the Privileged List Owners to change these settings to whatever time sync they feel is best for their members.

#1 Inclusion timeout (ttl) - Organizations with thousands of lists typically set #1 to a long interval to prevent unnecessary load on the servers (sympa, remote https, ldap,etc…) in an effort to improve efficiency of those services.

Hope this helps,

Terry McLaren