en - Re: [en@sympa] FreeBSD, Apache, and Sympa Issues.

  • From: "Janky Jay, III" <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [en@sympa] FreeBSD, Apache, and Sympa Issues.
  • Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 08:20:13 -0600

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the reply.

On 8/19/23 04:24AM, Alan Hicks wrote:
On 19/08/2023 03:19, Janky Jay, III wrote:
Hello All,

I attempting to deploy Sympa as a replacement for Mailman on a FreeBSD 13.2-RELEASE system. I'm also using Postfix and Apache24+spawn_fcgi (as suggested in the docs). I've followed all the documentation provided at https://www.sympa.community/manual/install.html without much issue but now I'm stuck.

Everything appears to be working as expected aside from the web UI. When I visit https://lists.domain.tld/sympa, it does bring up the home page, but after that, everything fails to work properly. Below is what I'm currently seeing:

When I open the home page (https://lists.domain.tld/sympa), I get a popup error that says " ERROR () - Unknown action ". I can close the popup and continue, but what might the cause of this be? I see no errors in the sympa.log or Apache log.

If I click the "Login" button, it takes me to the login page (great!). However, when I click the "First Login?" link to begin setup, it takes me to https://lists.domain.tld/firstpasswd which displays the message "The requested URL was not found on this server.". Should this be taking me to https://lists.domain.tld/sympa/firstpasswd instead?

Can anyone tell me what I might be missing to get this sorted out? I followed the Apache24 configuration suggestion in the manual with the <Location> parameters and there are no syntax or configuration errors when starting Apache.

So far, it looks like Sympa might be a great replacement for Mailman so I'm looking forward to getting started with it. Thanks for awesome contribution to the open-source community!

Regards,
Janky Jay

Hello Janky,

Hard to say without knowing more about your error messages and obfuscating https://lists.domain.tld doesn't help.

I'd be happy to share the actual domain if you'd like to take a look. I would prefer for that to be off-list, though. At least, until I get this sorted out.

From your description you appear to have the main fcgi working, so it could be either misconfigured robot, missing JavaScript, or Content Security Policy violation.

You should get more info from your browser's inspect/console (Firefox, Chrome).

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked the inspect/console in Firefox and I see the below errors/warnings when opening the home page:

"Cookie “sympa_session” does not have a proper “SameSite” attribute value. Soon, cookies without the “SameSite” attribute or with an invalid value will be treated as “Lax”. This means that the cookie will no longer be sent in third-party contexts. If your application depends on this cookie being available in such contexts, please add the “SameSite=None“ attribute to it. To know more about the “SameSite“ attribute, read https://developer.mozilla.org/docs/Web/HTTP/Headers/Set-Cookie/SameSite";

"This page uses the non standard property “zoom”. Consider using calc() in the relevant property values, or using “transform” along with “transform-origin: 0 0”."

"JQMIGRATE: jQuery.support.boxModel is deprecated"

I did also forget to mention that I'm using Sympa version 6.2.70 (the latest available in FreeBSD ports). I'm hoping the port will be updated to 6.2.72 in the near future.

Here's a fully working live example for reference: https://quite-radical.com/wws/info/newsletter

Thanks for this as well. That's what I'm hoping to achieve!

Regards,
Janky Jay