en - Re: [en@sympa] sympa behaviour when database is down

  • From: Phil Stracchino <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [en@sympa] sympa behaviour when database is down
  • Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 13:15:54 -0400

On 10/6/22 03:32, Darrin de Groot wrote:
Hi Soji,

Thanks very much for your reply - it helped me to go back and look again
at the logs, as our mariadb/mysql error is slightly different. We are
running a galera cluster and it seems that the service was, in fact, up,
but that the cluster was not ready to answer queries - resulting in an
"Unable to execute SQL statement", rather than simply not being able to
connect:

Darrin,
Are you using ProxySQL or HAProxy in front of your cluster? HAProxy combined with a clustercheck script of one variety or another SHOULD enable you to maintain database connectivity to a Galera cluster as long as *any one node* is available to serve queries. (Also remember that Galera can be configured to serve *read-only* queries from a node *even while serving an SST* and not available for writes.)

--
Phil Stracchino
Babylon Communications