en - Re: [sympa-users] unencoded "anonymous_sender" option problem

  • From: IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
  • To: "Goltz, Immo" <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] unencoded "anonymous_sender" option problem
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2022 13:28:11 +0900

Hi Immo,

2022/06/02 21:15、Goltz, Immo <address@concealed>のメール:

Dear list,

we stumbled upon a problem in our Sympa setup rendering a list unusable.

To make the list sender be more clear and visible to the subscribers we configured the "anonymous_sender" option.

Example:

Non ASCII characters like üöä <address@concealed>

The postfix can't send these mail than, external mailers refuse mail, log entries like this:

postfix/relay/smtp .... dsn=5.6.7, status=bounced (SMTPUTF8 is required, but was not offered by host ....

Sympa uses the string as is in the From: header, no encoding takes place. Should'nt Sympa encode it properly like it does with strings in eg. "custom_subject"?

For now we can work with

=?UTF-8?Q?Deutsch f=C3=BCr Dich?= <address@concealed>

but that's nothing our listadministrators would like to do.

Currently Sympa does not support encoding “structured header value” with anonymou_sender feature.  In other words, only simple email address without display name is allowed as anonymous sender.

If you want to let Sympa behave as you wish, or you know how to change the code of Sympa, you may submit new issue to propose changes:
https://github.com/sympa-community/sympa/issues

Regards,
— Soji

Thank you in advance.