en - [sympa-users] Ability to process (i.e., reduce) attachments?

  • From: Erik Olson <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Ability to process (i.e., reduce) attachments?
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 17:13:50 -0700

This is perhaps a long-shot.  I've been running some e-mail lists for aquarium hobbyists for over 20 years now, probably using Sympa for the last decade.  One of the things that has always been a problem, but has gotten worse as people have transitioned to using their phones, is the ease of attaching 12-megabyte raw photos to the messages.  While we've avoided the direct problem of e-mail bloat by setting the message size limit to 1 MB, it's now gotten to where people just give up rather than try and find a way to reduce the images and resend.

I'd like to find a solution where for a particular list we just automatically resize & recompress any jpegs above a threshold.    Not sure if this is something that could be done within Sympa's framework.  But if it could, this would be a very powerful tool.  Not a perl programmer, but I am a programmer. Thanks for any insight!

  - Erik

--
Erik Olson address@concealed

  • [sympa-users] Ability to process (i.e., reduce) attachments?, Erik Olson, 06/01/2021