en - [sympa-users] archive bottleneck

  • From: Alex West <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] archive bottleneck
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2020 17:03:30 -0500

It seems there is a severe bottleneck in the archive(outgoing) spool processing. What I am seeing is that the time required to process a message from the archive spool into the archive is very dependent on the size of the existing archive. Every message processed seems to require a stat of every file in that lists archive. For lists with large archives, this causes the processing to take over a minute per message, which causes a backlog.

Can anyone clue me in on what part of the code would be requiring this stat of every single file in the list archive? I could understand some requirement to check for old directories so that they can be removed per archive max_month limitations, but I'm not sure I understand why this is happening for every message. Or even why finding the directories needing cleaned out per max_month would require such an extensive stat of the files.

Obviously this means that this problem is going to be exponential, since some lists archives continue to grow.

Thanks

--

Alex West - Operations

www.bossnine.com