en - [sympa-users] Archive processing order

  • From: Alex West <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Archive processing order
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2020 15:06:39 -0500

We ran into some issues with the archive(outgoing) spool when a node crashed it's archived process. To alleviate the spool, I moved a lot of messages into a temporary location, and basically cleaned it out. What I'm doing now is periodically trying to move some back into the spool to allow the old ones that were moved out to be processed, so that ongoing messages continue to be processed in a timely manner but the old backlog can also get processed in chunks.

What I'm seeing though is odd behavior. During testing, I moved a number of messages in and saw them get processed within about 10 minutes or so. This is what I would expect, since the archived process is supposed to grab the oldest messages first from the outgoing spool.

However, now, when doing the same thing, I see the archived process locking and processing messages newer than the ones that were moved in. Therefore, it doesn't seem these old ones will ever get processed for some reason. Can anyone explain what might be going on here?

Has the process grabbed some large list from the outgoing spool and now does not see the new ones, because it's working from a cached list? Therefore, no old files added would get processed unless the archived process is restarted?

The filenames were not changed at any point. The timestamps should even be the same, although the last accessed timestamps would have probably changed. I don't think archived or Spool/Archive.pm deal with timestamps though, just filename globs.

Thanks

--

Alex West - Operations

www.bossnine.com

www.pantek.com

216-344-1614 x301

Improving Your Speed to Market

by Embracing Cloud and Linux Services

  • [sympa-users] Archive processing order, Alex West, 11/05/2020