en - Re: [sympa-users] new sympa install, apache2.4; cannot create list

  • From: "William F. Dudley Jr." <address@concealed>
  • To: "Stefan Hornburg (Racke)" <address@concealed>, address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] new sympa install, apache2.4; cannot create list
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 13:53:37 -0300

Stefan,

Thanks! I hadn't realized/remembered that there was a "sympa.log" file.
That showed a permission problem. Apparently the FreeBSD package doesn't
install with the right permissions everywhere.

In /usr/local/share/sympa, I did:

chown sympa:www arc bounce list_data
chmod g+w arc bounce list_data

(less typing: chown sympa:www [abl]*
etc.)

I don't know if www needs write permission, but this fixed the immediate
problem. Perhaps the setuid wrapper handles the www-ownership problem?

The secondary problem was that I couldn't get the fastcgi method to
work with my virtual hosting, where the sympa "home" directory is
sympa.dudley.nu. Some things would work, other things would fail because
the sympa-generated URL was "sympa.dudley.nu/admin/<listname>", but
It really needed to be "sympa.dudley.nu/sympa/admin/<listname>.

Rather than spend a lot more hours on fighting with that, I'm reverting
to my re-write rule approach, which works and all the URLs are correct:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^$ /cgi-bin/wwsympa-wrapper.fcgi [L]
RewriteRule ^/static-sympa/(.*)$ /docs/static/$1 [L]
RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ /cgi-bin/wwsympa-wrapper.fcgi/$1 [L]

where the cgi-bin directory has a symbolic link to the wwsympa-wrapper.fcgi
script, and docs/static is a symbolic link to:

/usr/local/share/sympa/static

So it appears that sympa is now "working", though of course more testing is
in order.

One mis-feature immediately apparent: mass-subscribe of a list of users
would be better if the format was:

Real Name <email.address>

Rather than:

email.address Real Name
which is a non-standard way of representing email accounts, IMHO.

Again, thanks for your help.

Bill Dudley