en - Re: [sympa-users] documentation for the impatient

  • From: "Stefan Hornburg (Racke)" <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] documentation for the impatient
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 16:44:46 +0100

On 3/23/20 4:34 PM, Bill Goins wrote:
> Is there documentation for sympa that is intended for the new
> listmaster? We are interested in only using the command line
> interface, but I'm uncertain about all the stuff included in the
> example xml file such as the <sql> entry and <owner_include>.
>
> I feel like I'm lost in the basement of a large building full of corridors
> with lots of locked doors, empty rooms and rooms with a few things
> in them.

Hello Bill,

the documentation shows an example with a lot of possible options.

You don't need all these entries, a XML file like the following
should be sufficient:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<list>
<listname>testliste</listname>
<type>html-news-letter</type>
<subject>Test list</subject>
<description/>
<topics>computer</topics>
<status>open</status>
<owner multiple="1">
<email>address@concealed</email>
</owner>
</list>

> As for the web interface, once we setup lists, we really don't do a lot
> list creation or deletions. We do more adds and deletions of
> membership. I would be concerned about leaving yet another website
> in our domain that nobody used but had to be maintained.

You can use --import for adding users. We are in the progress to add new
commandline options
to manage users, editors and owners.

Regards
Racke

> --
> Bill Goins
> Information Technology Services
> Georgetown College
> Georgetown, KY 40324-1696
> Email: address@concealed
> Phone: (502)863-8003
> NOTICE: This e-mail may contain information that is privileged,
> confidential, or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If
> you are not the intended recipient or it appears from the context or
> otherwise that you have received this e-mail in error, please permanently
> Fry, don't be a hero. It's not covered by the health plan. -- Hermes
> -- Futurama

Debian and Sympa administration. Provisioning with Ansible.