en - [sympa-users] DNS settings for multiple virtual hosts: best practices

  • From: Tom Browder <address@concealed>
  • To: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-users] DNS settings for multiple virtual hosts: best practices
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2020 09:29:11 -0600

It seems like every guide I read about DNS settings to handle a single
mail server for multiple virtual hosts has a slightly different
approach for required DNS records.

Can anyone point me to a good recipe for how to do such?

Here is what I have come up with so far with help from experts on the
Postfix mailing list (from several years ago):

https://github.com/tbrowder/apache-httpd-tidbits/blob/master/MAIL-DNS.md

Repeated less clearly here:
===================

Given:

a single Debian server
running Apache httpd
use as a mail server
use as a webserver with multiple virtual hosts
static IP address: 192.168.2.100
mail server name: mail.example.com

DNS records for all virtual hosts named X.TLD (including example.com):

X.TLD. IN A w
WWW.X.TLD. IN CNAME X.TLD.
@. IN MX X.TLD.
@. IN TXT "v=spf1 mx ?all"
X.TLD. IN MX 10 mail.example.com.

additional DNS records for example.com:

mail.example.com. IN CNAME example.com
100.2.168.192.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR mail.example.com.

A PR would be cool for corrections.

Thanks.

-Tom