en - Re: [sympa-users] sympa upgrade: Illegal mix of collations

  • From: dev <address@concealed>
  • To: Steve Shipway <address@concealed>, address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] sympa upgrade: Illegal mix of collations
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2019 08:39:56 -0500

On 7/22/19 4:27 PM, Steve Shipway wrote:
> This looks like the problem to me -- either your subscriber_table and
> user_table , or your admin_table and user_table, are using different
> collation sequences -- specifically, one has utf8_unicode_ci and the
> other has utf8_general_ci.

Thanks for the info! I've run 'alter table sympa.$table convert to
character set utf8mb4 collate utf8mb4_unicode_ci' on all my sympa tables
and that seems to have fixed it.

> possibly you have changed your
> server's default at some point and ended up with inconsistent definitions?

Not that I'm aware of. We've been using/upgrading the same sympa DB
since 2005 (several admins ago) so quite likely something went sideways
at some point.

> This would imply that (if you use non-ascii characters in your names)
> you are better off switching all tables and your server default to use
> the utf8_unicode_ci collation, or possibly utf8mb4_unicode_ci (with
> character set utf8mb4).

Ok, so utf8mb4_general_ci should change for the server settings below?

MariaDB [(none)]> show variables like "collation%";
+----------------------+--------------------+
| Variable_name | Value |
+----------------------+--------------------+
| collation_connection | utf8mb4_general_ci |
| collation_database | utf8mb4_general_ci |
| collation_server | utf8mb4_general_ci |

Add to /etc/mysql/conf.d/sympa.cnf ?:

[mysqld]
collation-server = utf8mb4_unicode_ci
init-connect ='SET NAMES utf8mb4_unicode_ci'
character-set-server = utf8mb4_unicode_ci

[client]
default-character-set=utf8mb4_unicode_ci

[mysql]
default-character-set=utf8mb4_unicode_ci