en - [sympa-users] Regarding the sympa.user_table

  • From: THOMAS M BLADER <address@concealed>
  • To: dev <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Regarding the sympa.user_table
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2018 20:44:30 +0000

Hello list.

I am upgrading my sympa server from 6.1.17~dfsg-1 (Ubuntu 14.04)
to 6.1.24~dfsg-1 (Ubuntu 16.04) and have a few questions perhaps
someone could answer.

As a side note, this installation is roughly 10 years old. It
has been brought through many upgrades over the years.

* How is the sympa.user_table populated in the DB?

I have nearly 3000 users in there and I am not sure if they were
created by many previous administrators or if sympa is creating
them somehow for subscriber listss. I did not create them so I wonder.

* Should unused accounts be purged from the sympa.user_table?

I wonder because many of the accounts have "NULL" for the fields
'last_login_date_user' as well as others. I am wondering if this
is a good time to remove these "old" users so I don't have old
logins laying around.

* Is it safe to program in new passwords in sympa.user_table?

I suspect many of the passwords in the 'password_user' field
are quite old and possibly leftovers from days gone by.

* Should I remove 'user_table' from /etc/sympa/auth.conf?

/etc/sympa/auth.conf has both 'ldap' and 'user_table' defined.
We use only LDAP for authentication these days so I'm wondering if
I can just remove this section from /etc/sympa/auth.conf:

user_table
regexp .*

Thank you

  • [sympa-users] Regarding the sympa.user_table, THOMAS M BLADER, 10/26/2018