en - [sympa-users] security-related bug: unprivileged user switched to different account

  • From: Robert McNicholas <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] security-related bug: unprivileged user switched to different account
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2018 11:01:01 -0700

I just had a weird bug reported, which I might not have believed if I had not been sent some screenshots. This is on Sympa 6.2.14 running on Red Hat 7.5.

A list manager, call him "scott" wrote me:

what just happened:
0) joey xxx (faculty) went in to muck w/some mailing list settings.
1) upon finding this out, i immediately went to the sympa page for that list
(xxx-announce)
2) i checked the settings, then moderates a message (reject, was a
double-send)
3) i noticed that the email notification about the rejection came from joey,
not myself
4) confused, i double-checked the sympa web interface and discovered that i was logged in as joey!
He sent a screenshot showing that the logged-in user showing in the top-right of the page was "joey" instead of "scott".

scott is a privileged list owner, but not a listmaster, so he should not be able to impersonate another user.

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

-Rob McNicholas
Dept of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences
UC Berkeley

  • [sympa-users] security-related bug: unprivileged user switched to different account, Robert McNicholas, 06/26/2018