en - [sympa-users] Import subscribers from dump

  • From: "Engels, Jan" <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Import subscribers from dump
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 10:37:18 +0100 (CET)

Hi everyone,

I am currently testing how to migrate a mailing list from one
sympa server to another sympa server. Currently my approach is:

# generate a dump from subscribers
sympa.pl --dump=${LIST}

# synchronize the following folders to the destination server
/var/lib/sympa/list_data/${LISTNAME}
/var/lib/sympa/arc/${LIST}

# check /var/spool/sympa for remaining files/folders...
find /var/spool/sympa/ -name '*${LISTNAME}*'

On the destination server I do the following:

# check if permissions are correct from the migrated folders
ls -l /var/lib/sympa/list_data/

# sync data from config files to DB
sympa.pl --sync_list_db --list=${LIST}

# import subscribers from dump files
cat /var/lib/sympa/list_data/${LISTNAME}/subscribers.db.dump.light | sympa.pl
--import ${LIST}

That's it. The list + archives were immediately visible on the destination
server, so I hope
that the procedure above is somehow acceptable for doing a list migration :)

Now I still have one question:

The "subscribers.db.dump.light" which I've used for importing the subscribers
does not include
any subscription dates information. There is another file
(subscribers.db.dump) which actually
includes this information but I could not find an easy way to use it in the
"sympa.pl --import"
process. The workaround for me was to write a small script which reads the
"subscribers.db.dump"
file and which updates the subscription dates directly in the DB, something
like:

update subscriber_table set date_subscriber='$fdate' where
user_subscriber='$email' and
list_subscriber='$lname';

Does anyone know if there is a better way for doing this? Besides this small
issue, the
migration process seems to have worked very well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Jan

  • [sympa-users] Import subscribers from dump, Engels, Jan, 01/29/2018