en - [sympa-users] Custom email sent on create list request

  • From: Steve Rich <address@concealed>
  • To: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Custom email sent on create list request
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 16:44:12 +0000

Hi all,

We are currently running Sympa 6.2.3 and allow external users to use our service.  However, we restrict list creation requests to users within our domains using the following scenario:

title.gettext Only Duke users can request list creation

is_listmaster([sender])                       md5,smime -> do_it
match([sender], /.*\@([\w])*\.?duke\.edu$/)   md5,smime -> listmaster,notify
match([sender], /\@gms\.edu\.sg$/)   md5,smime -> listmaster,notify
match([sender], /\@dku\.edu\.cn$/)   md5,smime -> listmaster,notify
true()                                         md5,smime -> reject

We require the lists to be approved by our service desk so that additional actions can be performed at list creation (reserving the address in identity management systems to prevent mail alias conflicts in various systems, vetting the list name, etc.)

Currently, we have our ticketing system’s email address listed as a listmaster to cheaply get list creation requests to open a ticket so that the bean counter gods are appeased.  This has the undesired effect of opening a ticket every time a notice is sent to the listmasters (sync_include failures, 100% subscriber bounce scenarios, web_internal failures, etc).

I am seeking a way to have the list creation/change request generate a notice to a specific address outside of the listmasters.  Currently, I am toying with the idea of a custom condition that:
  • Evaluates the regex of the requestor just like the above scenario.
    • If allowed
      • Sends a notice using perl smtp to the ticketing system.
      • Returns true to the scenario
    • Else
      • Don’t send to the ticketing system
      • Return false to the scenario
Does this approach seem logical or is there a better way to do it?

Thanks,
Steve

  • [sympa-users] Custom email sent on create list request, Steve Rich, 09/30/2015