en - [sympa-users] member_include Includable datasources (6.2)

  • From: Steve Shipway <address@concealed>
  • To: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-users] member_include Includable datasources (6.2)
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 01:56:09 +0000

First of all, a big +1 to the Sympa team for including the member_include external datasource in 6.2.x.  This allows you to use .incl data source definitions for list members in the same way as you could for list admins in 6.1, which is good for (eg) when you are providing LDAP group memberships but do not want users to have to know the LDAP credentials.

My problem is that in the edit_list_request page, the dropdown for selecting these includes is populated by seeking out the ‘name’ attribute in the .incl file, if it exists.

This is an issue because for LDAP groups, for example, you might have a file data_sources/ldap_group.incl like this:

include_ldap_query

name ldap_grp_[% param.0 %]

filter (groupMembership=cn=[% param.0 %],ou=ec_group,dc=ec,dc=auckland,dc=ac,dc=nz)

etc etc..

This would result in the dropdown being populated with ‘ldap_grp_[% param.0 %]’ rather than ‘ldap_group’, which is not helpful.  Note that we must include the [% param.0 %] in the datasource name, because it is quite possible that we want to have multiple LDAP groups included and so this ensures it is unique.

My simple solution is to edit Sympa/List.pm in the load_data_sources_list() function, and comment out the lines thus:

            #open my $fh, '<', $file or next;

            #my ($title) = grep {s/\A\s*name\s+(.+)/$1/} <$fh>;

            #close $fh;

            #$list_of_data_sources{$name}{'title'} = $title || $name;

            $list_of_data_sources{$name}{'title'} = $name;

I can see why this was done – to make it more clear which data source is being added – but I would rather it indicated the filename than the potential datasource name.  This is because the datasource name is likely to be parameterised, and in any case, it would be usual to make the filename match this or be more indicative.

I would like to submit this change as an improvement for the next point release of Sympa 6.2

Steve

Steve Shipway

Unix Design Team Lead

The University of Auckland

T: +64 9 3737 599 ext 86487

E: address@concealed

(GNU Terry Pratchett)

  • [sympa-users] member_include Includable datasources (6.2), Steve Shipway, 09/30/2015