en - Re: [sympa-users] Broken sending

  • From: Josemari Amatriain Martínez <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Cc: Steve Shipway <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Broken sending
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 12:59:57 +0200

On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 10:04:08 +0000
"Steve Shipway" (via sympa-users Mailing List)
<address@concealed> wrote:

> >A message was not sent to all subscribers of a list (lista-pdi). The list
> >has 1200 subscribers (taken
> >from a source, from LDAP server) and only 800 emails were sent.
>
> The logs seem to show the message arrive, confirm 1207 messages to send,
> spawn a second bulk process to handle the load, all messages are sent after
> 10 seconds and after idle timeout the bulk dies.
>
> Everything appears to be normal from these logs. What makes you think only
> 800 were sent?
>
> Can you check your sendmail/postfix logs (whichever you use) and see if
> anything is going on there? Possibly you have some rate limiting, or
> thread limiting, and some messages are being held up or rejected?
>
> I don't think that a synch_include during a message delivery could cause
> users to disappear, unless for some reason the LDAP query returned less
> than the total number of people and removed some, but errors in the LDAP
> cause no synch to occur. The two logs both say only 1 user was updated
> though.

Sorry. I forgot to tell you, I checked the postfix logs to count the
number of mails sent. I did this, because I received multiple complaints.
Some subscribers received the mail and others didn't.

The mails were not rejected/held, lost recipients didn't appear in the log
file either.
It was August and there were not many sendings on that date/time and server.
Unfortunately the complaints reached me one month later, yesterday. The list
owner was on vacation.

I discarded the hypothesis of a LDAP failure because both updates return the
same number of subscribers, 1026.
I think both updates were right.

Thanks in adavnce.