en - [sympa-users] Groups and Active Directory

  • From: Etan Weintraub <address@concealed>
  • To: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Groups and Active Directory
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 13:56:46 +0000

Hi all-

I’m wondering if anyone else has run into the size limit problem with groups in Active Directory. Basically, if you have a group with more than 1500 members, it seems that if you do a search against your user container for people with the memberof attribute you get a sizelimit error, and if you do a two-step LDAP search, the initial search returns no members, as it puts them in a ranged attribute instead. I ran into a similar issue when I was developing a group management tool, and had to write some special code into my Perl software to handle that case (which I’d be happy to share with the project if someone wants to implement it in the base code for Sympa) but I was wondering if others had run into this issue, and if so, how they had handled it.

-Etan E. Weintraub

Information Security Architect

IT@Johns Hopkins

Johns Hopkins at Mt. Washington