en - Re: [sympa-users] How to create a Sympa list of list owners

  • From: Matt Taggart <address@concealed>
  • To: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] How to create a Sympa list of list owners
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 02:22:02 -0700

David Verdin writes:
> As a matter of fact, I wonder if it would be useful to simply add a
> reserved address for owners in Sympa. After all, the software could
> perfectly give this feature out of the box. Any listmaster needs to
> contact list owners from time to time.
>
> The problem is that probably a lot of people already use such a list.
> And a lot of people might have a copletely different list called "owners"
>
> So maybe we could create a parameter - yes, yet another - that would
> contain the local part of the list to contact list owners - and mlaybe
> alos another one to tell whether we should exclude list owners that
> don't want to receive mails.

lists.riseup.net also has such a list, we call it 'listadmins' and use this
query:

SELECT distinct user_admin FROM admin_table a JOIN list_table l ON
a.list_admin = l.name_list where l.status_list="open";

ie only mail admins of open lists.

I like Steve's idea of excluding admins with nomail set, although I can
think of cases where I might want them to get mail anyway.

We obviously restrict send access to the list and we also have forced
moderation even for permitted senders. (ours is 21k subscribers, we have to
be careful) If such a list were to exist by default, I guess it would be
restricted to listmasters?

One other thing I thought of, would such a default list be per robot or per
sympa install? (for lists.riseup.net it doesn't matter, we only have one
robot)

--
Matt Taggart
address@concealed