en - Re: [sympa-users] INVITE command and security flaw?

  • From: Courtney Banks Schley <address@concealed>
  • To: "Zeikat, Wolfgang" <address@concealed>, sympa-users <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] INVITE command and security flaw?
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2014 12:30:57 -0400

Thank you for responding, Wolfgang. Sorry, I should have clarified my question. In the list configuration, there are 3 options:

1. Invite disabled
2. Only admin can invite
3. Anyone can invite

For options 2. and 3., it says this opens a security hole for private lists and is therefore not recommended. I understand why having it configured so anyone can invite would be a security problem, but it's not clear what the issue is if only admin can invite subscribers?

Thank you again.

Hello,

if subscribers can invite anyone else to a private list, it wouldn't be a private list anymore, would it.

I think that's meant by "Invitation is disabled by default because it opens a major security hole for private lists."

Hope this helps,

wolfgang