en - RE: [sympa-users] Using robot domain breaks alias manager in sympa 6.1.19?

  • From: Steve Shipway <address@concealed>
  • To: David Verdin <address@concealed>, "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: RE: [sympa-users] Using robot domain breaks alias manager in sympa 6.1.19?
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 21:45:29 +0000

Yes, this was actually an intended feature.

I have a TT2 plugin that handles message tracking and other things, such as adding unsubscribe URLs.

This plugin needs to know the MIME-type of the *current* section – without the overwriting, all you get is ‘multipart/alternative’ (the container) rather than ‘text/plain’ and ‘text/html’ for the two parts.  Depending on the MIME type, the plugin will either insert HTML or plain text.  Since a MIME subpart will normally only have headers relating to MIME it makes sense (to me) for this to take precedent over the corresponding headers in the parent container.

For example, If I send an HTML message to the list using Outlook, it will actually send a multipart/alternative message with two parts – the message in HTML, and a plain text version.  The TT2 tags are in both.

If I have [% use UOA; UOA.unsubscribe %] in the message, then in the HTML part I will get something like

  <A href="(unsubscribe" URL)>Click here to unsubscribe</A>

But in the plain text part I will instead get

  To unsubscribe, visit (unsubscribe URL)

Similarly, the more complex message tracking functions we have created work by inserting a 1x1px tracking image on the HTML page only, and by replacing URLs with tracking URLs in the HTML part only.  I can send you a copy of the plugin, data collection CGI and custom Sympa web_tt2 templates to view it, though they are not yet as tidy as they should be.

Steve

Steve Shipway

address@concealed