en - Re: [sympa-users] Tickets incompatible with some anti-malware tools

  • From: "Roger B.A. Klorese" <address@concealed>
  • To: Matt Taggart <address@concealed>, address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Tickets incompatible with some anti-malware tools
  • Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2014 22:40:40 -0800

On 3/7/14, 9:29 PM, Matt Taggart wrote:
I'm opposed to anti-malware tools doing this sort of thing in the interest of "protecting" users.

There are many things I'm opposed to, but I acknowledge their existence and attempt to work around them. Like murder, for instance. The fact is that most packaged email security products do exactly this. I'm product manager for a product in this category, and ehile ours doesn't do this, it's been on our untargeted customer request list for years, and we have lost more than a few customers to competitors because their products follwed links and checked the targets, rather than just relying on reputation or known URL construction tricks.

In addition to messing up one time tickets and the problems David mentioned it also causes an http request to happen possibly when the user doesn't want it to, which could leak the user's real IP. This is a concern for many of our users who go to great pains using tor/VPNs in order to stay anonymous on the internet.

Again, NOT a concern for corporate employees who are using corporate email systems. If we were specifically offering services "by free-software-using anti-corporatists for free-software-using anti-corporatists," it would be a tenable position.

While making the one time tickets have some additional verification step would solve this minor corner case, I'm opposed to software working around broken anti-malware tools and I think David's position is the correct one.

I'll just tell our five client agencies who use McAfee to move their lists to Google, and hunt for some more purists. Thanks.