en - [sympa-users] Adding message tracking capability to Sympa

  • From: Steve Shipway <address@concealed>
  • To: "'address@concealed'" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Adding message tracking capability to Sympa
  • Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 23:26:58 +0000

I’ve been doing some development work in Sympa, and it is surprising how much you can achieve via the TT2 system without needing to modify the Sympa code.

Message Tracking

One requirement many of our users have is to be able to tell who has read messages that they send to bulk lists, and which links in the message have been clicked on.  While this is rather unreliable – people can cut and paste URLs, and many have embedded images disabled – it is still sufficient for their purposes.

I have created an Add-in for Sympa that provides this functionality, by means of a TT2 plugin, web template and CGI script.  In addition, a couple of lines need to be added to the Sympa Bulk.pm file, as Sympa does not currently include any of the incoming message headers in the TT2 stash for later referral.

For it to work, you need to enable the Merge-feature on your list, and include some specific TT2 directives to link in the functions and indicate which links you wish to be tracked.  A new tab appears in the Admin page of the web interface to show the statistics and information for tracked messages.

The required files are available for download here, with installation instructions, if anyone would like to try it out.  I have it working on our Dev Sympa system, and so far the only issue is when you define nested FILTER definitions (unlikely).

http://www.steveshipway.org/software/f_sympa.html

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I will also soon add to this page our add-ins for providing Whitelists and Modlists to individual lists (to complement the existing Blacklist functionality), Task management, and enhanced Subscriber management (view auth pending, clear Exclude list, and empty subscribers list)

Steve

Steve Shipway

ITS Unix Services Design Lead

University of Auckland, New Zealand

Floor 1, 58 Symonds Street, Auckland

Phone: +64 (0)9 3737599 ext 86487

DDI: +64 (0)9 923 6487

Mobile: +64 (0)21 753 189

Email: address@concealed

P Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail : 打印本邮件,将减少一棵树存活的机会

  • [sympa-users] Adding message tracking capability to Sympa, Steve Shipway, 11/19/2013